Get Custom Essay on Fin 534 week 6 homework chapter 11
Let Our Team of Pofessional Writers Take Care of Your Paper.
FIN 534 Week 6 Homework Chapter 11
1. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
a. An externality is a situation where a project would have an adverse effect on some other part of the firm’s overall operations. If the project would have a favorable effect on other operations, then this is not an externality.
b. An example of an externality is a situation where a bank opens a new office, and that new office causes deposits in the bank’s other offices to decline.
c. The NPV method automatically deals correctly with externalities, even if the externalities are not specifically identified, but the IRR method does not. This is another reason to favor the NPV.
d. Both the NPV and IRR methods deal correctly with externalities, even if the externalities are not specifically identified. However, the payback method does not.
e. Identifying an externality can never lead to an increase in the calculated NPV.
2. Taussig Technologies is considering two potential projects, X and Y. In assessing the projects’ risks, the company estimated the beta of each project versus both the company’s other assets and the stock market, and it also conducted thorough scenario and simulation analyses. This research produced the following data:
Project X Project Y
Expected NPV $350,000 $350,000
Standard deviation (σNPV) $100,000 $150,000
Project beta (vs. market) 1.4 0.8
Correlation of the project cash flows with cash flows from currently existing projects. Cash flows are not correlated with the cash flows from existing projects. Cash flows are highly correlated with the cash flows from existing projects.
Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
a. Project X has more stand-alone risk than Project Y.
b. Project X has more corporate (or within-firm) risk than Project Y.
c. Project X has more market risk than Project Y.
d. Project X has the same level of corporate risk as Project Y.
e. Project X has less market risk than Project Y.
3. Which of the following statements is CORRECT?
a. If an asset is sold for less than its book value at the end of a project’s life, it will generate a loss for the firm, hence its terminal cash flow will be negative.
b. Only incremental cash flows are relevant in project analysis, the proper incremental cash flows are the reported accounting profits, and thus reported accounting income should be used as the basis for investor and managerial decisions.
c. It is unrealistic to believe that any increases in net working capital required at the start of an expansion project can be recovered at the project’s completion. Working capital like inventory is almost always used up in operations. Thus, cash flows associated with working capital should be included only at the start of a project’s life.
d. If equipment is expected to be sold for more than its book value at the end of a project’s life, this will result in a profit. In this case, despite taxes on the profit, the end-of-project cash flow will be greater than if the asset had been sold at book value, other things held constant.
e. Changes in net working capital refer to changes in current assets and current liabilities, not to changes in long-term assets and liabilities. Therefore, changes in net working capital should not be considered in a capital budgeting analysis.
4. Temple Corp. is considering a new project whose data are shown below. The equipment that would be used has a 3-year tax life, would be depreciated by the straight-line method over its 3-year life, and would have a zero salvage value. No new working capital would be required. Revenues and other operating costs are expected to be constant over the project’s 3-year life. What is the project’s NPV?
Risk-adjusted WACC 10.0%
Net investment cost (depreciable basis) $65,000
Straight-line deprec. rate 33.3333%
Sales revenues, each year $65,500
Operating costs (excl. deprec.), each year $25,000
Tax rate 35.0%
5. Florida Car Wash is considering a new project whose data are shown below. The equipment to be used has a 3-year tax life, would be depreciated on a straight-line basis over the project’s 3-year life, and would have a zero salvage value after Year 3. No new working capital would be required. Revenues and other operating costs will be constant over the project’s life, and this is just one of the firm’s many projects, so any losses on it can be used to offset profits in other units. If the number of cars washed declined by 40% from the expected level, by how much would the project’s NPV decline? (Hint: Note that cash flows are constant at the Year 1 level, whatever that level is.)
Net investment cost (depreciable basis) $60,000
Number of cars washed 2,800
Average price per car $25.00
Fixed op. cost (excl. deprec.) $10,000
Variable op. cost/unit (i.e., VC per car washed) $5.375
Annual depreciation $20,000
Tax rate 35.0%
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
Best Quality Essays has stood as the world’s leading custom essay writing services providers. Once you enter all the details in the order form under the place order button, the rest is up to us.
At Best Quality Essays, we prioritize on all aspects that bring about a good grade such as impeccable grammar, proper structure, zero-plagiarism and conformance to guidelines. Our experienced team of writers will help you completed your essays and other assignments.
Admission and Business Papers
Be assured that you’ll definitely get accepted to the Master’s level program at any university once you enter all the details in the order form. We won’t leave you here; we will also help you secure a good position in your aspired workplace by creating an outstanding resume or portfolio once you place an order.
Editing and Proofreading
Our skilled editing and writing team will help you restructure you paper, paraphrase, correct grammar and replace plagiarized sections on your paper just on time. The service is geared toward eliminating any mistakes and rather enhancing better quality.
We have writers in almost all fields including the most technical fields. You don’t have to worry about the complexity of your paper. Simply enter as much details as possible in the place order section.